When we found out that March 18th is National Sloppy Joe Day, there was one recipe we just knew we had to share. Many of us grew up eating sloppy joes, probably using the canned sauce, but this recipe lets you make it from scratch and using a leaner meat. So hey, it's a little healthier too!
One of our staff members actually put this recipe to the test, and it was a hit! Pair it with some sweet potato fries, or maybe even some coleslaw, and you have a simple and quick meal.
We found this recipe at TasteofHome.com, but all the recipe details are below.
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 hamburger buns
- In a large skillet, cook turkey, onion and pepper over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up turkey into crumbles.
- Stir in tomato sauce, barbecue sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns.
Check out the link to the recipe above to see the nutrition facts. We hope you’ll give it a try!