The holiday season seems to come with lots of family and friend parties, which require bringing a dish to share. Sometimes, it's easiest to bring a sweet treat!
We found a super simple and tasty recipe that is not only easy to make for a party, but also makes a great holiday gift as well! Here it is, a recipe for Peppermint Bark from simplyrecipes.com.
- 5 regular sized candy canes, or about 15 mini candy canes
- 12 ounces white chocolate or dark chocolate (chips, wafers, or chopped up chocolate bars)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Prepare a tray for the bark by lining a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat (or wax paper) and set aside.
- Break up the peppermint candy into little pieces. Start by breaking up the candy with your hands, then transfer into a double layer of zip-top bags. Place the bag on a cutting board and pound the candy canes with a kitchen mallet, meat tenderizer or even a rolling pin. You’ll want chunky pieces to sprinkle over the chocolate so be sure not to crush them into powder. Pea size pieces are perfect. Transfer the crushed candy into a bowl.
- Melt the chocolate. Place the chocolate into a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir occasionally with a heat-proof spatula until the chocolate is completely melted. If you prefer, you can also melt your chocolate in the microwave in 30 second bursts. Stop microwaving when you see just a few small lumps of chocolate. Stir until those lumps have melted completely.
- Stir the peppermint extract into the chocolate.
- Spread out the chocolate. Pour the chocolate onto the baking sheet and spread it out as thin or as thick as you like using a spatula.
- Sprinkle the peppermint candy chunks on to the chocolate and gently press them in with your hands.
- Place in the freezer for 5 minutes or until hardened. Break into pieces and serve or store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a month.
That’s it. How easy is that! Its long shelf life makes it a perfect holiday gift and the quick preparation time makes it ideal for that last minute party invite. Give the recipe a try and let us know how you like it!
Simple Eats – Oyster Chicken with Eggplant
Simple Eats – Healthier Loco Moco
Simple Eats – Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf
Simple Eats – Homemade Toasted Pastry Tart
Leave a Reply