Since November is Eat Smart Month, our friends at the American Heart Association provided a few heart healthy recipes for us to share with you. We already shared the Healthier Loco Moco recipe, and today we're sharing a recipe for Oyster Chicken with Eggplant.
- 1 pound Chinese eggplant, sliced diagonally into 1″ thick pieces
- 1 small round onion, diced
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Optional: 1 thumb-sized slice of ginger, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- Black pepper to taste
For the chicken marinade:
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup water, room temperature
Ingredients for thickening:
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
Serve on the side:
- 4 cups of cooked rice (brown or hapa)
- Prepare first four ingredients and set aside
- Chop chicken into bite sized pieces (similar in size to the eggplant) and marinate with baking soda and water mixture for 20 minutes.
- After chicken is marinated, rinse very well to remove baking soda. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a large pan or pot, add oil and cook chicken for 2-3 minutes. Stir.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger (if using). Stir.
- Add eggplant and oyster sauce. Mix well and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle some black pepper. Mix.
- Cook until eggplant begins to soften.
- In a small bowl, mix thickening ingredients and add to pan, stirring.
- Cook until eggplant is soft and gravy is thickened.
- Serve with a side of rice.
Not only do we have this great recipe to share with you, but they even provided us with the nutrition information per serving for this dish. Check it out:
- Calories 420
- Total Fat 6.0g
- Saturated Fat 1.0g
- Trans Fat 0.0g
- Cholesterol 85mg
- Sodium 300mg
- Carbohydrates 57g
- Fiber 7g
- Total Sugars 5g
- Protein 32g
- This recipe serves 4 people.
Give this recipe a try, and let us know what you think!
Missed our Healthier Loco Moco recipe? Check it out and let us know how it tastes.