This year HFS is working with The Food Basket, Hawaii Island's Food Bank, to provide hunger relief to local keiki.
Help The Food Basket end hunger in Hawai’i by making a donation at any HFS FCU branch location between May 1 – May 31, 2019. Plus, make a donation of $20.00 or more and you’ll receive a FREE HFS gift, while supplies last.
Donations go toward their Keiki Backpacks program, providing nutritional supplements to low-income keiki. The Food Basket distributes bags to local elementary schools that have a high number of free and reduced lunches. Keiki receive bags ahead of long school breaks or weekends, when their meals may be inconsistent, or not present at all.
About The Food Basket
The Food Basket is a non-profit organization dedicated to eliminating hunger and food waste in Hawai’i County. As a trusted and stable agency they also distribute the safest and highest quality food in Hawaii. Their vision is to provide the leadership necessary for Hawai’i County to become a model for food security and sustainability. Their programs supply the community with the access to the type of food assistance they need.
Aside from their Keiki Backpacks, The Food Basket also has the following programs:
- DA BOX – Created to both support local farmers and to provide affordable access to fresh, Hawai’i Island grown produce.
- Kupuna Pantry CSFP – A food program that works to improve the health of low-income elderly persons at least 60 years of age, by supplementing their diets with nutritious USDA foods.
- DA BUX – An incentive program for SNAP-EBT cardholders that matches EBT dollars spent on Hawai’i Island grown produce with additional free produce.
- DA BUS – A mobile pop-up market of Island-grown produce that visits low-income/low-access rural areas.
- SNAP – The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program that allows eligible households to receive money every month, to be used on groceries.
In addition to food, their programs provide people with social contact and promote community cohesiveness. The Food Basket also offers various jobs and volunteer opportunities, and hold special events throughout the year.
Stop by a branch near you today to make a donation! Mahalo!