2021 College Scholarship Program
HFS is offering scholarships to current college students! There are three (3) $2,500 scholarships available to help our HFS members continue their dreams of higher education.
Applications must be turned in to the Credit Union, postmarked, or emailed to [email protected] by Saturday, February 27, 2021. Applications can be picked up at any one of our six branch locations or downloaded online.
Any current college student that meets the following requirements is eligible to apply:
- Current HFS Federal Credit Union member with his/her own account in good standing prior to the application deadline
- Currently a student at an accredited Vocational-Technical School, College or University and will be continuing education as a full-time student in a 2-year, 4-year or graduate program and will be continuing education in the 2021-2022 academic year
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher
- Financial need
- Completed Application
- Current Transcript
- First page of FAFSA Student Aid Report showing EFC (Estimated Family Contribution)
- 2 Letters of Recommendation (must include 1 non-academic, ex: employer, church leader, etc.)
- Personal Statement (maximum two typewritten pages) addressing 2 or more of the following prompts:
- Why should you be a recipient of the HFS Federal Credit Union Scholarship?
- Describe your career and personal goals, what has inspired you to set these goals, and how you plan to achieve them.
- Choose any community service, extracurricular activity, or work experience that you have participated in and tell us how this has impacted your life.
- If applicable, describe any extenuating circumstances or barriers (personal or financial) to obtaining your goals.
If you have any questions regarding the program, please contact the Credit Union at (808) 930-1400 for more information.
Are you a current high school student, about to graduate in 2021? If so, you may be eligible for our High School Scholarship instead. Visit the HFS FCU High School Scholarship page for more information.
- Do I need to attend a Big Island college or university?
- No. Applicants may attend any accredited Vocational-Technical School, College or University and should be continuing education as a full-time student in a 2-year, 4-year or graduate program in 2021-2022.
- My parents have an HFS account. Does this count?
- Applicants should have their own HFS FCU account where they are the primary member.
- Can I open an account, then apply for the scholarship?
- Yes! You are more than welcome to open an account as long as you qualify for membership. To qualify for the scholarship, you should open your account by February 27, 2021.
In 2020, we began a new phase in our popular scholarship program. We are thrilled to announce our first 3 winners of the HFS College Scholarship. This new and exciting program has been built based on member-demand; specifically, to help reward deserving current college students.
Congratulations to our 3 winners and we can’t wait to see the great things you will accomplish!
- Kayley Oliveira
- Kiaria Nakamura
- Silas Pelkey