The Instant Pot is the newest cooking craze, featuring quicker cooking times and versatility in the things you can make in it. If you're anything like me, you took advantage of black Friday sales to purchase one, and then let it sit while you worked up the courage to use it ( I had heard releasing the pressure when cooking could be scary...) Well 6 months later I finally used it, and I can see what all the hype is about!
One of the first recipes I tried was a Smoked Sausage Mac ‘n Cheese, and let me tell you, it was absolutely delicious! It was so good that I’m sharing the recipe in today’s Simple Eats post. At the bottom of this post I also included a photo of the recipe book that I found it in, and there’s lots more yummy recipes in there. Here’s what you’ll need for the mac ‘n cheese:
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 package (16 ounces) cavatappi pasta (I used another curly pasta since I couldn’t find this in the store)
- 1 package (13 ounces) smoked turkey sausage cut into 1/4 inch slices (you could substitute a different sausage, I used beef instead)
- 5 cups water
- 4 TB butter, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- Press Saute; heat oil in the Instant Pot. Add the onion; cook 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Add 1 teaspoon of salt; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add pasta, sausage and 5 cups of water, mix well.
- Secure the lid and move the pressure release valve to the Sealing position. Press Manual; cook at high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add the panko and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until panko is golden brown.
- When the cooking is complete, use quick release. Press Saute; add the cheeses, milk and remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the pot. Cook until the cheeses are melted and the mixture is smooth, then press Cancel. Let stand uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened and absorbed, stirring occasionally. Top with the golden brown panko mixture.