A grilled cheese sandwich is one of the ultimate comfort foods for children and adults alike! Pair it with a side of fries or even tomato soup and you really can't go wrong.
Why Grilled Cheese?
This month’s simple eats recipes (yes there are two) are both deluxe forms of a grilled cheese sandwich. Why grilled cheese? Because Thursday is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day!
Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
The first recipe is for a Garlic Bread grilled cheese sandwich. Yum! Let’s take a look at the ingredients and directions:
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 8 slices of bread
- 4 slices cheese (of your choosing)
- Mix together the softened butter with the pressed garlic and parsley
- Assemble your grilled cheese sandwiches (with your cheese of choice)
- Spread garlic butter on both sides of your sandwich
- Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet and place under the broiler. Watch closely for the tops to turn golden brown, and then flip to brown the other side. You can also use a griddle or your stove top to do this instead of a broiler.
The original recipe can be found on the Lovely Little Kitchen website. There’s also a Tomato Soup recipe included in that link, which would go great with that garlic bread grilled cheese!
Now, if that recipe is still a little too simple for you, next up is definitely a deluxe grilled cheese sandwich. Plus, it’s made especially for breakfast!
Breakfast Grilled Cheese
This recipe is the absolute perfect excuse to have a grilled cheese sandwich for breakfast.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 links breakfast sausage, casing removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup half and half
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks. Drain excess fat and reserve 1 tablespoon fat in the skillet
- Add eggs to the skillet and cook, whisking, until they just begin to set. Gently whisk in half and half; season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking until thickened and no visible egg liquid remains, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside
- With a butter knife, spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place 2 slices, buttered side down, on work surface. Divide sausage, eggs and cheese evenly on both slices. Top with remaining slices, buttered side up.
- Heat the skillet over low heat. Add sandwiches and cover; cook, turning once with a spatula, until golden brown and the cheese has just melted, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Slice and serve immediately.
To view the Breakfast Grilled Cheese recipe, visit this link. These types of recipes are so easy to change up and make your own, so don’t be afraid to add or take out ingredients to fit your taste.
If you try any of these recipes, let us know in the comments below how you liked it!
Leave a Reply